From the Editor:
- The INF agreement is a token (or even a spurious) victory for peace activists, but it will change the context of our work decisively. Some of us first got iinvolved when the cruises and Pershings were slated for deployment. They are going to leave Europe, yet most of our work still lies ahead -- and it will take a lifetime. Are we entitled to celebrate? We offer three interpretations of this historic situation.
- We continue with the story of the century -- the nefarious deeds of the "Secret Team," only now coming to light, thanks to the Christic Institute. Oliver North's loony escapades are only the tip of the iceberg. John Bacher's tales of these thugs will appear in several installments over the next few issues.
- Larry Ross grew up in Toronto, attending Upper Canada College, before going off to New Zealand in the sixties. There he turned to promoting nuclear weapon free zones. In November he toured Canada, giving wonderful pep talks across the country. You'll be inspired, reading his talk with Jennifer Ramsay.
- And speaking of inspiration, we had a "peak experience" while reading Mordechai Vanunu's letter from prison. He reminds us all of who we are, and what's worth living for. Read it, and write him back!
- Watch out for Canada's participation in the U.S. satellite program that will coordinate global weapons systems. David Kattenburg's piece gives the details.
- Our cover portrays Dr. Joanna Santa Barbara with children. See the peace education department.
- We are immensely grateful to the wonderful donors who contributed substantially to our solvency at the New Year. (We want to recognize you all by name, but perhaps we'd better ask your permission before doing so!) Bless you all! It is an honor and privilege to work with such a magnificent group of dedicated supporters and staff! Thank you! (And yes, we'll still need more gifts this year!)
- Our directors have decided to defer raising subscription rates, hoping that our low $15 price will encourage new potential subscribers. So please help us out with two or three gift subscriptions this year! And (if you can) please donate a few dollars.
- This is a photo of some Directors of PEACE. Left to right are Moira Armour and Jean Smith (who run our business office), Don Willmott (our treasurer) and Dr. Alan Phillips.